Should I prepare before I see an adviser?
You should ask yourself the following questions so that you can
provide your adviser with a clear picture of why you need their
- What is your current financial situation? - You should take
details of any savings, investments, income, current financial
products, insurance etc. that you currently have.
- What do you want to gain from the advice? - do you have a lump
sum to invest, are you buying a property, are you planning for your
- Do you need one off advice or do you want ongoing advice over a
period of time?
- Do you have a spouse or partner who should be involved in the
What should I expect when I meet an adviser for the
Make sure that you feel comfortable with the adviser you have
chosen as they will ask you a few personal questions. You can
expect to be asked questions such as:
- You're relationship status: whether you're single or
- Whether you have children or other dependants
- Your age and health
- Your income and spending commitments
- The rate of Income Tax you pay
- Your current financial products and any other significant
assets you already have.
You will also be asked a series of questions to assess your
attitude towards money and risk, and to identify your priorities
Your adviser will use all of this information to identify what
the best course of action is for you, and which financial products
- such as specific pension schemes or annuities -suit your needs
and circumstances best.
Your financial plan
Your adviser will then offer to implement the financial
plan for you and will give you the following information:
- Information about the fees and charges associated with the plan
and products you are buying (including investment charges
- Details about the products they have recommended for you
- They will explain to you about your right to change your mind
about buying a financial product and how long you have to do
If you are unsure or don't understand anything about your
financial plan make sure that you ask for further explanation
before committing to a plan or product.
search for a professional financial adviser local to you